Saturday, September 17, 2011

OK, ok, ok, I am finally getting back on the blog wagon and I hope you enjoy the ride with me. I will be showing you all my secrets and fun design and decorating tricks from basically everything that folks throw away. One of the best stories ever is about the gates that I have above my bed. They came from an old driveway on our property. Well at least that's what I thought. I found out they were made from boards that fell down from a storm in the 1960's. They were saved and made into jumping gates for horses. Then twenty years later they were rescued again for decor in a restaurant with a western theme. After the restaurant closed, they were put in storage. Ten years later a guy asked if he could have the gates. He took them home, and used them as driveway gates. Fast forward 20y plus years more. We bought the property and during the construction of the REX Project, they were saved again. Recycling two gates over the past 50 years. Love it!

6 comments:

Prairiedog said...

Shannon, that's one of the best recycling stories I've ever heard, good job. I'm always afraid of putting something like that above my head, in case the nails gave, but I'm sure you have them safely attached. I've seen pictures with people having a shelf with heavy items on them over thier heads. If they aren't secured you might get a headache. Karen

Skaie (sky) Knox said...

LOVE this story! Gonna pass it on, my friend!

Anonymous said...

how did you attach the gates to the wall securely?

Shannon said...

It was really easy to attach to the wall. All I did was find the studs and screwed the gate to the wall using two inch wood screws. It's not going anywhere!

Dan said...

What a great recycling story!

Shannon Quimby said...

Thanks Dan!

Post a Comment