Monday, April 22, 2013

Paint by Numbers DIY Table


 For my tenth birthday I received a paint by number pattern of a unicorn running through a field.  As soon as I got home from school I would disappear until dinner time, spending hours trying to color within the lines.  After I completed my masterpiece, I was proud yet somewhat disappointed at the same time.

If you stared at it with fuzzy eyes, it was a near perfect rendition of the graceful unicorn, but as you got closer it was clear, my version was a far cry from the picture on the cover.Thirty some years later (notice I say “some”) I re-visited my childhood love of paint by numbers . This time, a floral print of pansies,  enlarged so I can see what I am doing.

Those fuzzy eyes from my early days are somewhat permanent now, yep I wear glasses, but I think it turned out pretty darn good if I do say so myself.


If you'd like to try your own paint by numbers table top here's what you need:
  • Painted side table
  • Paint by Number pattern (you can find one at any craft store)
  • Black carbon paper (also found at craft or office supply stores)
  • Colored Pencil
  • Scotch Tape
  • Scissors
  • 2 fl.oz. Acrylic paint for each color.  The Pattern I chose had 12 small paint pots of paint so I purchased 12, 2 fl.oz. that matched each color. 
  • Paint brushes (included in the paint by number package)
  • Copy machine or a road trip to an office supply store
How To:
  1. Enlarge the paint by number pattern to cover the entire area of your table top. 
  2. Cut the enlarged pattern and black carbon paper the exact size of the table top, making sure it does not overlap on the sides.
  3. Tape the carbon paper to the back side of the pattern, making sure the shiny carbon is face down on the table.
  4. Tape the combo, pattern and carbon to the table top
  5. With colored pencil trace the pattern onto the table. 
  6. Remove pattern from table
  7. Using the numbers as your guide paint the table.

Helpful Hints:
  1. Used the enlarged pattern to assist with location of numbers and what paint to use.
  2. When required to mix new colors, mix a large amount in a bowl and then store in a zip lock bag for later usage.  This ensures the same color shade at all times.

Enjoy!


0 comments:

Post a Comment