Thursday, May 23, 2013

Found Free on the Side of the Road: New DIY Project



DIYers dream is finding stuff on the side of the road. Sometimes it's all about timing. I scored big recently  driving by somebody who was cleaning out their garage. “Free?” I asked. “Yes,” she said, “take it all.” I was so excited I thought I was going to pee my pants! Here’s a teaser of my first DIY project for the trade magazine, Today’s Vintage. It’s an old cast iron ground cover plate and  I have 9 more just like it. What would you use them for? 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The obvious thing would be "stepping stones" on a path. But how about assembling them in an informal "sculpture" on a wall, all touching at some point but with an irregular outline to the whole piece and spaces inside it, Mondrian style.

Audrey Trubshaw, a fan

pink*cherub*moon said...

Hmmm....it'd be cute with a candle tucked behind it. Maybe use them to tile a small table top or tray. Center some inside ornate frame, one per frame, like they're floating in the center of the glass, maybe each painted a different color (set of 3 perhaps, not all of them), make some type of garden art, wind chimes or an art piece that clangs when it rains? Let us know what you do please! Hugs, Leena

Post a Comment